I flicked through the screen of my phone, searched for songs in my music list which I dedicate to those who are moving on. I’m not talking about love.
- Let it be The Beatles – “…And when the night is cold there is still a light that shines on me, shine on until tomorrow, let it be. I wake up to the sound of music, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be…”
- People help the people Cherry Ghost/Birdy – “…People help the people and if you’re homesick, give me your hand and I’ll hold it. People help the people, nothing will drag you down…”
- There is a light that never goes out The Smiths – This is a love song but the lyrics are really touching and the words there is a light that never goes out can never be true enough. Temporary lights will flicker, but believe that there is a light that never goes out.
- With a smile Eraserheads – “…Lift your head, baby, don’t be scared of the things that could go wrong along the way you’ll get by with a smile, now it’s time to kiss away those tears goodbye…”
- Learn me right Mumford and Sons & Birdy – “…We will run and scream, you will dance with me. We’ll fulfill our dreams and we’ll be free, we will be who we are and they’ll heal our scars. Sadness will be far away…”
- Carry on Fun – “…If you’re lost and alone or you’re sinking like a stone, carry on. May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground, carry on, carry on, carry on…”
- Huwag kang matakot Eraserheads – “…Huwag kang matakot, ‘di mo ba alam nandito lang ako sa iyong tabi, ‘di kita pababayaan kailan man. At kung ikaw ay mahulog sa bangin ay sasaluhin kita…”
- The Cave Mumford and Sons – “…But I will hold on hope and I won’t let you choke on the noose around your neck. And I’ll find strength in pain and I will change my ways, I’ll know my name as it’s called again…”
- Make you feel my love Bob Dylan/Adele – “…When the rain is blowing in your face and the whole world is on your case, I could offer you a warm embrace to make you feel my love…”
- Here comes the sun The Beatles – “…Here comes the sun, here comes the sun, and I say, it’s all right, it’s all right…”
To all my fellow Filipinos hit by the typhoon Yolanda, to all those people losing hope because of all the problems that life offers, maybe no words are enough to cheer you up. But in silence and in sadness, let the good music be playing.
-Elizabeth Y. Borromeo